As the planet warms, we can expect an increase in political instability and violence.
The US Department of Defence (the Pentagon) wrote in the 2014 Quadrennial Defence Review that climate change with its extreme weather events has the potential to increase:
- the devastation of homes, land, and infrastructure.
- water scarcity,
- food costs
- competition for resources.
- environmental degradation,
- pressure on economies, societies, and governments
- political instability and social tensions
- terrorist activity and other forms of violence.
The Pentagon has immense resources and incentives to get its strategy right. It employs 2.1 million people. In this report, it clearly accepted that climate change is occurring and threatening.