Aquion Hybrid Ion (AHI) batteries run off salt water. They are imported from the US and available in Australia. The raw materials are not toxic – and are abundant
The Aqion batteries have a long life as they can be:
- Charged and discharged (cycled) 3,000 times compared with under 1,000 cycles for lead-acid batteries.
- Fully discharged without ill effect. Most batteries cannot be fully discharged as if they discharged to below 60% of their full charge, they stop being able hold charge.
The inherently safe chemistry of AHI batteries require:
- No maintenance,
- Little thermal management
- No toxic gases or ventilation needed
- If there was a fire, the plastic battery case might melt and the salt water be released, which would damp or extinguish the fire
- No concern about disposing of these batteries
Beyond Zero Emissions radio program
Interview with the CEO of Ampetus, Avrohom Jacks.
Ampetus Energy did sell these batteries in Australia.